The members of the terror Boko Haram sect are currently massing in Gwoza, several residents killed, AFP says.
They being moved from a number of their earlier seized towns by the multinational forces have converged on Gwoza, Borno State where they prepare to confront the troops.
The terrorists had asked women and children to leave due to their plan to involve the military, one of the fleeing woman said in an interview with BBC Hausa.
“On the day they entered, they told women and children to exit the town because they wanted to confront the military, the women and children went out of the town. Somebody carried us into the bush, but the vigilante stopped us, asking us where we were coming from. We explained to them that we were from Gwoza and narrated to them what happened.
“They (Boko Haram) met the slain old people reciting Holy Qur’an in front of a cleric’s house. They told the cleric that the study in front of that house has come to an end and ordered them to follow them to where they would further their studies eternally.
“Soon after the Asr prayer they tied the aged people and began to pick guns, telling them that ‘you are in our hands today, your end has come.’ They took them to a new abattoir nearby and killed them,” she narrated.
Confirming the development, Senator Ali Ndume, representing Borno South Senatorial District decried how the old people were killed even when they were found reciting the Holy Qur’an.
According to a local who fled Gwoza, the terrorists surrounded the young men who studied the Koran in front of the residence of a local religious leader.
These men were then executed in front of their wives, the resident said from Yola, the capital of the neighboring state of Adamawa.
“Boko Haram’s men have reported new weapons, cartons, they have them tested and killed all the men were forced to lie on his stomach,” she continued.
According to a civilian JTF leader, no more than 68 people have been killed in a fresh assault in the Borno village of Dambua.
Boko Haram then set a part of the village on fire, a fleeing villager said. At the time of reporting it seems only men were targeted during this attack.
A fleeing woman also confirmed that “more than 60 people have been killed by the insurgents, they killed all our husbands and young boys,” adding that all their dead bodies were left unattended.
READ ALSO: Boko Haram Has Become Weak
Fatima Abakar told Sahara Reporters: “They came to our village at about 5:30am, during early Morning Prayer, so we started hearing heavy gunfire [then] there was pandemonium everywhere and gunshots and there was confusions everywhere. I ran into bush since then I never seen my husband and three children. [I] came back to our village in the afternoon dead bodies was scattered everywhere.
Another local from Dambua, Kurri Bulama, whose father was among the victims, said that army has not visit the village.
“Yes I was told that he had been killed along with more than 60 people by militants in Njaba village on Monday. But we got to know about it yesterday I am so confused I don’t know what to do. They burnt many houses. Many people fled the villages into the bush,” he said.
“As I am speaking with you, the military has not visited the village as the their bodies was scattered at the Njaba village till now,” he insisted.
It is from Gwoza taken by insurgents in June 2014, their leader Abubakar Shekau proclaimed in August a ‘caliphate’ in previous areas controlled by armed Islamists in the north-east.
A replay of the city would be a highly symbolic success for the Nigerian army.